Pages

Monday, 10 April 2017

Here is my poem with metaphors and similies.

Language Tools.


WALT: recognise and use a Metaphor and Simile.


What are they?
When do you use them?
Examples:


What is a Metaphor?
A Metaphor is a  figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
Examples of Metaphors:
He drowned in a sea of grief.
She is fishing in troubled waters.
The snow is a white blanket.
Life is a rollercoaster.  
His words were cotton candy.
The snow is a white blanket.
America is a melting pot.
Her voice was music to his ears.
Life is a rollercoaster.
The snow is a white blanket.
The hospital was a refrigerator.
The classroom was a zoo.
America is a melting pot.  
Her lovely voice was music to his ears.
Life is a rollercoaster.  
The alligator’s teeth are white daggers.  
Their home was a prison.
The slide on the playground was a hot stove.
His heart is a cold iron.
She is a peacock.
He is a shining star.
Time is money.
My teacher is a dragon.
Tom’s eyes were icy.
The detective’s face was wooden as he listened to her story.
She feels that life is a fashion show.
The world's a stage.
My kid’s room is a disaster area.
The children were flowers grown in concrete gardens.
Kisses are the flowers of affection.
His words were cotton candy.
Mary’s eyes were fireflies.
John’s suggestion was just a Band-Aid.
The cast on his broken leg was a plaster shackle.
Her long hair was a flowing golden river.
The computers at school are old dinosaurs.
Laughter is the music of the soul.
He is a night owl.


What genre of writing would you see a Metaphor?
You would see


What is a Simile?
A Simile is a figure of speech involving the comparison of one thing with another thing of a different kind, used to make a description more emphatic or vivid.
5 Examples of Similes:
As brave as a lion.
As big as an elephant.
As blind as a bat.
As cheap as dirt.
As flat as a pancake.
What genre of writing would you see a Simile?
You would see a simile in a poem,



Lloyd


I am a librarian, stern and knowledgeable.
I am a pencil, drawing on an empty paper.
I am a kauri tree, growing with Maori knowledge.
I am me.
I am  a student of Room 4.
I am Lloyd

2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Lloyd, I'm Nicole from St Patricks School Greymouth.

    I have really enjoyed reading this blog post because I can tell that you have put a lot of effort into this post. I did notice that you had a lot of metaphors and not many similes, so maybe you could put some more similes on. Keep up the great work.

    Blog you later

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Lloyd, I'm Cheska from St Patrick's School Panmure.

    I really liked the way you explained what a Simile and a Metaphor is in detail. I also like the creative examples you have created. What other Spelling rules do you know about?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.